Sports for immigrant girls: Working Out in a New Country
At the request of girls and women in the local immigrant community, our organization decided to take a number of initiatives to increase their opportunities for physical activity. Through interviews, observations and conversations we explored barriers to fitness and exercise, the social, physical, and cultural effects of physical activity, and solutions to facilitate Somali girls and women’s access to fitness and exercise opportunities. Physical activity interventions includes, exercise classes in a community center; basketball trainings at a local women-only center; swimming classes, walking and sport group.
The objective of the initiative is to break barriers to fitness and exercise, the social, physical, and cultural effects of physical activity, and solutions to facilitate Somali girls and women’s access to fitness and exercise opportunities. And furthermore, to:
- Create awareness of the benefits and opportunities for physical activity and exercise
- Develop women’s understanding of democracy and fair play in physical activity and exercise
- Enable women to interact with physical activity and exercise in order to realize physical and personal development
- Encourage formation of networks for women to increase opportunities and provide support.
- Promote through existing structures physical activity and exercise among women and the girl child.
We hired a female sport instructor to provide three sport programs, such as: exercise classes at a community center; two days a week basketball trainings at a local center with a women-only facility; and swimming, walking and sport group. These classes will be carried out independently of one another at different times in every year between September-May.
Any one who drawn interest in this program, you are more than welcome. You can make your booking on this number: (0466821944), or send us email: info(at)puntland-community.net